ESR15 - Multi-functional road monitoring system - “WirelessBox”
- Project: “WirelessBox” – Multi-functional road monitoring system
- Host Institution: IFSTTAR (IFSTTAR)
- Address: Nantes 44344, Allée des Ponts et Chaussées Route de Bouaye CS4, France
- Main Supervisor: Dr Hornych (IFSTTAR) – Automated pavement
- ESR15 will register for a PhD at University of Nantes through IFSTTAR
The objective of the project is (1) to develop a multi-functional road monitoring system, which can be used to measure continuously traffic and pavement condition and provide information for road asset management. Based on the previous experience of IFSTTAR, (2) the system will associate measurement of traffic loads and vehicle positions by piezo-electric sensors; pavement layer strains, using strain gage sensors; pavement deflections, using geophones; pavement layer temperatures. (3) A wireless data acquisition system will then be developed, ensuring the processing of the sensor measurements and the calculation of different indicators characterising traffic composition and pavement conditions.
Development of an automated road monitoring system, for evaluation of traffic and pavement condition.
Planned secondment(s) and Training offered: the LAMES laboratory of IFSTTAR, will provide experience in pavement instrumentation, and full-scale accelerated pavement testing. The SII laboratory of IFSTTAR is specialised in the development of instrumentation and monitoring systems, and data analysis, for roads, railways, bridges and buildings. The partnership with strategic partners will provide:
- A3IP: sensor embedding and wireless data acquisition solutions
- UNOTT: road engineering, sustainable pavements