ESR8 - COMPutational design and characterisation of RHEOlogically COMPlex emerging Materials to enhance durability and resiliency of transport infrastructure’s technologies - “COMP2RHEO"
- Project: “COMP2RHEO” – COMPutational design and characterisation of RHEOlogically COMPlex emerging Materials to enhance durability and resiliency of transport infrastructure’s technologies
- Host Institution: The University of Palermo (UNIPA)
- Address: Università degli Studi di Palermo, Piazza Marina 61, 90133 PALERMO
- Main Supervisor: Dr.Lo Presti (UNOTT) – Sustainable Engineering
- ESR8 will register for PhD at UNIPA
The objective of this project will be to develop a computational-based platform that will allow engineers to design and characterise rheology-complex materials with a computer rather than performing costly and highly resources consuming laboratory tests. In other words, experimental researchers will be able to use novel simulation methods and high-performance computing resources just as they would use a physical rheometer. This platform will also be used to eventually optimise currently available experimental tests that have not been designed for emerging material designed to enhance durability and resiliency of transport infrastructures (i.e. polymer modified bitumens, mechano-mutable materials, magnetorheological fluids, etc..).
Enhance safety on airports through smart pavement monitoring.
Planned secondment(s) and Training offered: The project will be developed through planned international collaborations with at least twointernational partners. University of Palermo will provide expertise with computational fluid dynamicsand rheological measurements of bitumen. . The partnership with strategic partners will provide:
- University of Nottingham: CFD and Rheometry of complex fluids
- Electric Ant Lab: virtual theometry and high performance computing
- University of Huelva: Rheology of complex fluids Politecnico di Torino: rheology of bituminous mixtures